About the role
As the I Bike Officer for Inverness, you will offer support to selected primary and high schools within the city to enable pupils and their families to walk, cycle, scoot and wheel to school more regularly.
This is a fixed term contract with funding currently in place until June 2023 with likely extension after that date. Due to the nature of the role, a PVG is required.
You will engage with schools and communities across Inverness, developing and delivering activities and events in schools which promote and enable all forms of active travel to school through practical skills incentive programmes and classroom sessions.
You will work closely with Highland Council and other local partners to support the delivery of on-road cycle training (Cycling Scotland, Bikeability levels 1 and 2) and aiding Bikeability Scotland Instructor training, allowing schools to cascade on-road cycle training (Bikeability Level 2) to pupils.
I Bike Inverness has been running since 2018 and supports the work of a number of local teams including Highland Councils Transport Planning Team, Road Safety Team, the Active Schools Team and Care and Learning. The post holder will be part of a local working group of all interested partners. This working group aims to ensure that I Bike complements and strengthens existing initiatives within Inverness and the wider Highland region.
You should have experience of working with children of primary or early secondary school age (9-14).
You should also have experience in leading group workshops and event planning.
You should be able to adapt your communication style with ease to ensure engagement with both partners and pupils.
Ideally you will have experience of delivering physical activity lessons and have an understanding of community based or environmental projects.
We aim to be a truly inclusive employer and welcome applications from people from all parts of the community, in particular from under-represented groups. Sustrans is committed to reducing inequality, valuing diversity and enabling inclusion.
- Closing date for the receipt of completed applications is 23:59 on 24 August
- Interviews will take place via MS Teams on 9 September
- 26 days leave per annum plus bank holidays for full-time working.
- Ability to buy an extra week of annual leave (pro-rata for part-time staff).
- Staff volunteer days.
- 24/7 free, impartial and confidential support service.
- We are members of the Green Commute Initiative and Cycle Scheme who both offer cycle to work schemes.
- Group Personal Pension Scheme with a 4% or 5% of basic salary contribution being matched by Sustrans.
- Bike, computer and season ticket loans.
- Discount benefits.
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay.
- Flexible Working practices (full-time hours are 37.5 per week, Monday - Friday).
Equality, diversity and inclusion
Sustrans is committed to reducing inequality, valuing diversity and enabling inclusion.
We welcome applications from people from all parts of the community, particularly where we are under-represented.
Currently, this includes people who identify as having a disability, and those from Black, Asian and minority ethnic groups.
For more information contact: