About the role
Sustrans has many years of experience in designing and constructing walking and cycling routes. We are currently delivering a multi-year, multi-million-pound programme of new and improved walking and cycling routes across England for the Department for Transport.
As the Head of Construction, you will be responsible for providing the necessary support to our project teams to ensure that construction and maintenance projects, typically associated with the National Cycle Network, are completed safely, to programme and within budget.
You will oversee our portfolio of construction projects and will support our teams to ensure successful project and programme delivery. You will focus initially on our England-wide programmes.
You will have responsibility for auditing projects. You will:
- provide advice and guidance on best practice
- ensure Health and Safety is adhered to across our projects
- act as the point of escalation for negotiation with contractors and partners.
This role will require travel and work at locations as necessary to undertake projects on behalf of Sustrans.
You will be an experienced Civil Engineer. You should hold a professional qualification in civil engineering at CEng level, or have equivalent experience.
You will have the ability to manage, lead and support a team to deliver projects and programmes on time and to budget.
Your knowledge in health and safety management will be invaluable, and you will be able to demonstrate knowledge of CDM 2015, allowing you to efficiently and effectively lead on health, safety, environmental and quality and ensure legal compliance across our construction work.
This role has oversight of the planning, development and delivery of infrastructure projects, so a proven track record in project management is essential. We are looking for someone with skills including:
- client and stakeholder relationships management
- programme plan management
- programme budget responsibility
- programme/s risk management and mitigation.
We will look for evidence of your experience in managing a large portfolio of construction projects. You should have a keen eye for detail, using your knowledge of NEC conditions of contract including NEC3 and NEC4 to ensure all contracts are set up correctly.
- Closing date for the receipt of completed applications is 23:59, 25 January 2022.
- Interviews will take place via MS Teams during the week commencing 7 February 2022.
- 26 days leave per annum plus bank holidays for full-time working.
- Ability to buy an extra week of annual leave (pro-rata for part-time staff).
- Staff volunteer days.
- 24/7 free, impartial and confidential support service.
- We are members of the Green Commute Initiative and Cycle Scheme who both offer cycle to work schemes.
- Group Personal Pension Scheme with a 4% or 5% of basic salary contribution being matched by Sustrans.
- Bike, computer and season ticket loans.
- Discount benefits.
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay.
- Flexible Working practices (full-time hours are 37.5 per week, Monday - Friday).
Equality, diversity and inclusion
Sustrans is committed to reducing inequality, valuing diversity and enabling inclusion.
We welcome applications from people from all parts of the community, particularly where we are under-represented.
Currently, this includes people who identify as having a disability, and those from Black, Asian and minority ethnic groups.
For more information contact: