About the role
As the new Sustrans Senior Project Officer (SPO), you will build and manage internal and external relationships with key people within Perth and Kinross Council and others within local government, professional bodies and authorities to deliver a transformative active travel strategy.
You will provide support in the development of the Active Travel Strategy. You will work across council departments and in partnership with external organisations to consolidate cooperation amongst participants and delivery partners and identify and develop opportunities for investment in active travel.
You will work on the Perth and Kinross Council school exclusion zone projects - for example, Viewlands School - and liaise with schools regarding the challenges and opportunities at their sites. The SPO will work on Cycling Walking Safer Routes projects; for example, contributing to route/place designs, and will be able to feed into the work of those in the Perth People Place team.
You will also assist with building an evidence base to demonstrate demand for investment in cycle infrastructure, so an understanding of research methods and the ability to analyse data is required. Having GIS (geographic information system) mapping experience would be advantageous.
Your day-to-day duties will be advised by the Local Authority, with line management provided by a Partnerships Manager at Sustrans.
This role will require travel and work at locations as necessary to undertake projects for Perth and Kinross Council on behalf of Sustrans. Candidates should be based within commutable distance of Perth and Kinross.
You should have professional experience in active travel projects and be able to build relationships with ease. You will proactively engage with affiliated agencies and local authorities to develop and promote the Active Travel Strategy.
To be effective in this role, you should have knowledge of transport policy and strategy, active travel development, or sustainable transport.
We will look for you to evidence your experience in multi-partnership projects and active travel projects. You should be an excellent communicator to facilitate writing applications for active travel funding opportunities.
Sustrans is committed to reducing inequality, valuing diversity and enabling inclusion. We aim to be a truly inclusive employer, and welcome applications from people from all parts of the community, in particular from under-represented groups.
- Closing date for the receipt of completed applications is 23:59, Monday 15 August 2022.
- Interviews will take place online via MS Teams on Tuesday 30 and Wednesday 31 August 2022.
- 26 days leave per annum plus bank holidays for full-time working.
- Ability to buy an extra week of annual leave (pro-rata for part-time staff).
- Staff volunteer days.
- 24/7 free, impartial and confidential support service.
- We are members of the Green Commute Initiative and Cycle Scheme who both offer cycle to work schemes.
- Group Personal Pension Scheme with a 4% or 5% of basic salary contribution being matched by Sustrans.
- Bike, computer and season ticket loans.
- Discount benefits.
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay.
- Flexible Working practices (full-time hours are 37.5 per week, Monday - Friday).
Equality, diversity and inclusion
Sustrans is committed to reducing inequality, valuing diversity and enabling inclusion.
We welcome applications from people from all parts of the community, particularly where we are under-represented.
Currently, this includes people who identify as having a disability, and those from Black, Asian and minority ethnic groups.
For more information contact: