About the role
As the Active Travel Officer, reporting to the Delivery Manager, you will work closely as a team of two with the other Active Travel Officer (ATO) in the Community Active Travel Programme. You will help devise and deliver an innovative programme of activities to overcome barriers that exist to walking and cycling.
Community engagement is key to this role. You will seek out and establish strong partnerships with community groups across disadvantaged communities in the Belfast City Council area to encourage, support and train people to travel actively.
You will plan and deliver a range of practical activities and training to empower and motivate people to travel actively such as National Standard cycle training, led walks and rides, e-bike trials and route planning workshops.
You will recognise and support potential Active Travel Champions and Volunteers from within these communities, providing them with appropriate training and ongoing support to deliver activities, ensuring sustainability of the programme.
This role will require travel and delivery of activities at locations across Belfast.
You should have experience of community engagement and networking, with the confidence to develop and maintain good lasting working relationships.
You will have an awareness of economically disadvantaged communities and have the ability to enthuse and inspire leaders within these groups to engage with the programme activities.
You will demonstrate experience of delivering outdoor practical projects or activities, which have community involvement as a core element.
We are looking for a personable character, who is a keen confident in cycling and who will show a commitment to walking, wheeling, cycling and the ideals of Sustrans.
We aim to be a truly inclusive employer and welcome applications from people from all parts of the community, in particular from under-represented groups.
Sustrans has a long-term commitment to being a charity for everyone - reducing inequality, valuing diversity, enabling inclusion and ensuring all people are treated with dignity & respect.
- Closing date for the receipt of completed applications is 23:59, 29 August 2022.
- Interviews will take place via MS Teams during the 06 and 07 September 2022.
- 26 days leave per annum plus bank holidays for full-time working.
- Ability to buy an extra week of annual leave (pro-rata for part-time staff).
- Staff volunteer days.
- 24/7 free, impartial and confidential support service.
- We are members of the Green Commute Initiative and Cycle Scheme who both offer cycle to work schemes.
- Group Personal Pension Scheme with a 4% or 5% of basic salary contribution being matched by Sustrans.
- Bike, computer and season ticket loans.
- Discount benefits.
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay.
- Flexible Working practices (full-time hours are 37.5 per week, Monday - Friday).
Equality, diversity and inclusion
Sustrans is committed to reducing inequality, valuing diversity and enabling inclusion.
We welcome applications from people from all parts of the community, particularly where we are under-represented.
Currently, this includes people who identify as having a disability, and those from Black, Asian and minority ethnic groups.
For more information contact: