Three times as many men cycle in Belfast as women (Bike Life survey) so we are taking practical steps to address with a 6-week ‘Women into Cycling’ programme to encourage more women to participate in active travel.
The 6 week programme is divided into 6 x 2 hour sessions including discussion, cycle training, bike maintenance, group cycle rides, information on bicycles and equipment as well as giveaways.
If you don't have a bike, we can lend you one for the programme - just let us know when you sign up.
Over the 6 weeks, we will cover the following:
- Welcome and introduction to course
- Motivations and barriers for women to cycle discussion
- Choosing a bike with Belfast Bikes demonstration
- M-Check and ABCDD bike check. Tips on Clothing for cycling.
- Level 1 and 2 National Standards Cycle Training
- Health and Nutrition
- Locks and bike security. Tips on panniers, baskets, lights and reflective gear.
- Bike maintenance skills. Practise changing a tube, fixing a puncture and getting a wheel on and off your bicycle.
- Planning a journey
- Group cycle ride along the Comber Greenway
- Group cycle ride along the Connswater Greenway
- Cycle themed quiz with tea/coffee
- Tips to keep cycling with information on National Standard Level 3 and Ride Manager Cycle Training
- Giveaways including bike bells, pens, badges, neck buffs and lights
Course content and dates may be subject to change due to availability of staff and resources.
To find out more contact Martha or Pamela on 028 9073 8513 or email [email protected]