The Sea to Sea (C2C) is the UK's favourite long distance route with a staggering 15,000 people riding it each year. This challenging and rewarding trip will take 15 cyclists along this iconic route over three days, stretching 140 miles from the Irish Sea to the North Sea.
Join our Sustrans team, take on the challenge and help raise vital funds to keep the route in tip top condition.
About the route
After dipping your back wheel in the sea at Whitehaven, this stunning ride will follow quiet country lanes and paths into the beautiful Lake District, Cumbria and the North Pennines, covering 79 miles of traffic free paths that meander through heathland, moor, dales and England's historic industrial heartlands. We'll then cross the fabulous Millennium Bridge in Newcastle before finishing at Tynemouth. Download the trip notes and see the itinerary.
- Ride up to the highest point on the whole of the National Cycle Network - Black Hill, at 609 metres.
- Enjoy a cuppa with stunning views at the highest cafe in England at Hartside.
- Great sense of achievement crossing the country coast to coast, with the camaraderie of riding with the Sustrans group.
- Enjoy a gradual descent along the traffic free Waskerley Way to a seaside celebration finish at Tynemouth.
What you get
- Two nights at bike friendly B&Bs (shared room basis) with mouth-watering breakfasts.
- Awesome lunches, snacks and drinks provided by Skeddadle.
- Support vehicle and luggage transfers.
- Experienced ride guides with mechanical and first aid expertise.
- C2C goody bag including a Sustrans cycling jersey.
Who is this ride for?
Our Sustrans and Skedaddle group rides are always a lot of fun. Many participants sign up on their own and make life long friends on our rides - so definitely don't be worried about coming alone. Riders tend to cycle as a group at a leisurely pace, but there is flexibility to ride on ahead and meet the group at the various tea or lunch stops.
This is a challenging ride with some steep sections so ensure you include some hills in your training before the ride.
Check out some photos from our previous Sea to Sea (C2C) ride.
Costs and Fundraising
The trip costs £250. We then ask you to do your best to raise as much as you can for Sustrans aiming for a £250 target. You can also give an upfront donation if you'd prefer.
You pay your trip costs in full to Skedaddle and then fundraise or donate to Sustrans. That way you can tell all your friends and family that you've paid for the trip yourself and all money raised is going straight to charity, so no one feels like they are paying for your 'cycling holiday'. Because of this Skedaddle has very kindly subsidized this ride to keep the cost of the trip as low as possible, and to help us raise as much money for the charity as possible.
There is also the option to pay a £49 supplement for an extra night in Penrith on Friday 20 May which includes a transfer for you and your bike to Whitehaven on the morning of the ride. This is a popular choice for riders who like to meet each other and enjoy a meal together the night before the ride begins.