Interested in FREE cycle training, both traffic free and on-road, to improve your skills and confidence? Want to get out on your bike and improve your health and fitness? The following cycling activities are aimed primarily at employees in businesses along the Comber Greenway, in East Belfast as part of Sustrans' CHIPS programme but we encourage all members of the public to sign up.
Dates for 2018:
Adult Cycle Training - the programme for June can be booked through eventbrite. A free ditch the stabiliser session is offered for all those who complete this adult cycle training.
Free cycle training, moving from a basic skills refresher to building confidence and feeling safer cycling with traffic, on quieter roads. Cycle training is subject to numbers and weather conditions and if necessary customers will be offered an alternative date.
Summer 2018 - Adults
- Saturday 23rd June from 1.45pm to 3.45pm - Book Adult Cycle Training
- Thursday 28th June 6-8pm - Book Adult Cycle Training
- Friday 6 July 12.30-2.30pm - Book Adult Cycle Training
- Sunday 8 July 3-5pm - Book Adult Cycle Training
- Monday 23 July 12.30 - 2.30pm - Book Adult Beginners Training & second session for non-beginners 3-5pm Adult Cycle Training
- Thursday 23 August 10am - 12 noon & second session 2-4pm - Book Adult Cycle Training
Summer 2018 - Children
- Saturday 30 June 12.30-4.30pm & second session 3-5pm - Book Child Level 1 Cycle Training
- Friday 6 July 10am -12 noon & second session 3-5pm - Book Child Level 1 Cycle Training
- Sunday 8 July 10am - 12 noon - Book Child Level 1 Cycle Training
- Monday 23 July 10am - 12 noon - Book Child Level 1 Cycle Training
Ditch the Stabilisers training sessions for children
Short sessions to help your children gain confidence and balance to go without stabilisers. We take off the stabilisers and pedals and work with parents and children to practice cycling skills. There is a maximum of 6 children per session, they are great fun and lots of opportunity to practice skills. If you would like to book a place for one of these sessions either email Pamela or Martha or follow the email link below, we will email to confirm your place is booked.
Saturday 23 June
- 4 to 5 year olds from 11am to 12 noon - book ditch the stabiliser session - now fully booked - see other sessions
- 6 to 7 year olds from 12.15 to 1.15 pm - book ditch the stabiliser session - now fully booked, see other sessions
Saturday 30 June
- 2 to 4 year olds from 10-11am - book Balance Bike session
- over 4 year olds from 11-12 noon - book Balance Bike session
Thursday 23 August
- 2 to 4 year olds from 12.30pm - 1.30pm - book Balance Bike session
Family Cycle Training - (available on request)
Do you think your child (age 10 years or more) or parent could do with some basic or on road cycle skills training?
Would you like to take part in some fun training with your parent/child, practicing cycle skills off road and then on local roads?
Then this is for you: free level 1 and 2 National Standards cycle training for adults, practical, skills based training, so you can watch and then practice, building on learning with no test at the end. The training takes you through some fun activities covering basic skills to practice on local roads, learning about position on the road and communication with other road users, all helping to make you a more confident and safer cyclist. Training takes place over two sessions, two hours long, session A must be completed first.
Learn how to fix a puncture and keep your bike on the road. Choose from one of the following hour long sessions.
- Wednesday 27 June from 5.30pm to 7pm - Book Bike Maintenance Session
- Wednesday 25 July from 5.30pm to 7pm - Book Bike Maintenance Session
Cycle to work from Comber with company along the Comber Greenway to C.S. Lewis Square, in east Belfast. Join the Bike Bus from Billy Neill playing fields at Comber or join us en route. Register from 7.15am at Billy Neill, leaving at 7.30am. Next Bike Bus to be confirmed.
Led Group Cycle Rides
Do you want to get out cycling on the Comber (or Connswater) greenway with some company? Interested in taking part in a leisurely, fun cycle in a small group along the greenway with a stop for coffee and a chat? Maybe you don't know how to get onto the Comber Greenway, or all the interesting places it passes by?
We are offering places on a number of group cycle rides, for adults, along the Comber Greenway, a lovely, traffic free route which runs from Comber to Belfast and the Connswater Greenway. Route may be subject to change and there is a choice of short or longer cycle rides. If you do not have a bike but would like to take part let us know and we can organise a bike for you to borrow. Book here for a place on the cycle ride.
- Saturday 30 June, a leisurely cycle ride along the Comber Greenway 10am to 11.30am - Book Led Group Cycle Ride
- Sunday 8 July, led ride on local greenways 12.30-2.30pm - Book Led Group Cycle
Better by Bike
A fully comprehensive 6-week course to get you cycling to work. The course covers choosing a bike, cycle training - including level 1, 2 and 3 (level 3 takes cyclists onto busier roads, maybe your regular commute), bike maintenance, route planning and a guided ride.
- Dates to be agreed, contact us if you would like to find out more or book a place.
To book email Sustrans Active Travel Officers Martha or Pamela or telephone 028 9043 4569 or book through Eventbrite