Interested in FREE cycle training, both traffic free and on-road, to improve your skills and confidence? Want to get out on your bike and improve your health and fitness? The following cycling activities are aimed primarily at employees in businesses along the Comber Greenway, in East Belfast as part of Sustrans' CHIPS programme but we encourage all members of the public to sign up.
Dates for 2018:
Adult Cycle Training - the summer programme can be booked through eventbrite. A free ditch the stabiliser session is offered for all those who complete this adult cycle training.
Free cycle training, moving from a basic skills refresher to building confidence and feeling safer cycling with traffic, on quieter roads. Cycle training is subject to numbers and weather conditions and if necessary customers will be offered an alternative date.
July 2018 - Adults
- Monday 23 July 12.30 - 2.30pm - Book Adult Beginners Training & second session for non-beginners 3-5pm Adult Cycle Training
- Wed 25 July 3-5pm - Book Adult Cycle Training
June - July 2018 - Children
- Monday 23 July 10am - 12 noon - Book Child Level 1 Cycle Training
- Wed 25 July 10am - 12 noon - Book Child Level 1 Cycle Training
Ditch the Stabilisers training sessions for children
Short sessions to help your children gain confidence and balance to go without stabilisers. We take off the stabilisers and pedals and work with parents and children to practice cycling skills. There is a maximum of 6 children per session, they are great fun and lots of opportunity to practice skills. If you would like to book a place for one of these sessions either email Pamela or Martha or follow the email link below, we will email to confirm your place is booked.
Thursday 23 August
- 2 to 4 year olds from 12.30pm - 1.30pm - book Balance Bike session
Learn how to fix a puncture and keep your bike on the road. Choose from one of the following hour long sessions.
- Wednesday 27 June from 5.30pm to 7pm - Book Bike Maintenance Session
- Wednesday 25 July from 5.30pm to 7pm - Book Bike Maintenance Session
Led Group Cycle Rides
Do you want to get out cycling on the Comber (or Connswater) Greenway with some company? Interested in taking part in a leisurely, fun cycle in a small group along the greenway with a stop for coffee and a chat? Maybe you don't know how to get onto the Comber Greenway, or all the interesting places it passes by?
We are offering places on a number of group cycle rides, for adults, along the Comber Greenway, a lovely, traffic free route which runs from Comber to Belfast and the Connswater Greenway. Route may be subject to change and there is a choice of short or longer cycle rides. If you do not have a bike but would like to take part, let us know and we may be able to organise a bike for you to borrow, dependent on availability. Book here for a place on the cycle ride.
- Wed 25 July, led ride 12.30pm to 2.30pm - Book Led Group Cycle
- Thurs 2 August, cycle ride for seniors - a leisurely cycle ride along the Connswater Greenway from CS Lewis Square to Victoria Park, 11am to 12pm - Book Led Cycle Ride
- Friday 10 August, a family group cycle along the Comber Greenway followed by a puncture repair session from 11am to 1pm (we have bikes available to borrow) - Book led group cycle
- Sunday 12 August, led ride on local greenways 12.30-2.30pm - Book Led Group Cycle
- Saturday 18 August, a leisurely ride on local greenways 10am-11.30am - Book Led Group Cycle
- Sunday 26 August, led ride on local greenways 12.30-2.30pm - Book Led Group Cycle
Family Cycle Training - (available on request)
Do you think your child (age 10 years or more) or parent could do with some basic or on road cycle skills training?
Would you like to take part in some fun training with your parent/child, practicing cycle skills off road and then on local roads?
Then this is for you: free level 1 and 2 National Standards cycle training for adults, practical, skills based training, so you can watch and then practice, building on learning with no test at the end. The training takes you through some fun activities covering basic skills to practice on local roads, learning about position on the road and communication with other road users, all helping to make you a more confident and safer cyclist. Training takes place over two sessions, two hours long, session A must be completed first.
Cycle to work from Comber with company along the Comber Greenway to C.S. Lewis Square, in east Belfast. Join the Bike Bus from Billy Neill playing fields at Comber or join us en route. Register from 7.15am at Billy Neill, leaving at 7.30am. Next Bike Bus to be confirmed.
Better by Bike
A fully comprehensive 6-week course to get you cycling to work. The course covers choosing a bike, cycle training - including level 1, 2 and 3 (level 3 takes cyclists onto busier roads, maybe your regular commute), bike maintenance, route planning and a guided ride.
- Dates to be agreed, contact us if you would like to find out more or book a place.