Interested in FREE cycle training, both traffic free and on-road, to improve your skills and confidence? Want to get out on your bike and improve your health and fitness?
The following cycling activities are aimed primarily at employees in businesses along the Comber Greenway, in East Belfast as part of Sustrans' CHIPS programme but we encourage all members of the public to sign up.
Women into Cycling Programme - 6 week course
A fully comprehensive 6-week course for women to get you cycling to work. The course covers choosing a bike and equipment, Levels 1 and 2 National Standards cycle training (traffic free and on-road), bike maintenance, route planning and guided cycle rides.
|Date from||Date to||Day||Time|
|28 March 2019||9 May 2019||Thursday||5.30pm to 7.30pm||Book|
|4 June 2019||9 July 2019||Tuesday||10.00am to 12.00pm||Book|
Explore the Greenways
For women who can cycle and are keen to go out on short cycle rides, of about 5 or 6 miles, at a leisurely pace. Book one, two or three cycle rides! All rides will depart from the Sustrans Active Travel Hub at CS Lewis Square, East Belfast.
|26 March 2019||Tuesday||6.00pm to 7.30pm||Explore the Connswater Greenway in the direction of Greenville Park and Clarawood||Book|
|30 April 2019||Tuesday||6.00pm to 7.30pm||Discover the Comber Greenway in the direction of Dundonald||Book|
|28 May 2019||Tuesday||6.00pm to 7.30pm||Enjoy a cycle along the Connswater Greenway to Victoria Park and beyond to the Titanic Quarter. We will stop for a tea/coffee to finish off this cycle series||Book|
Love your bike, love your heart - work out on the way to work - active travel challenge
If you've thought about changing your commute to work, adding in some fresh air and exercise and would like to try cycling or walking, or mixing these with bus or car on the way to work this challenge might be for you. From 11th February to 1st March try to make as many active travel journeys to work as you can, record these and log them with Pamela to be in for the chance to win a prize of a Sustrans goodie bag. Try it out and see the benefits to your health as well as time and money saved and all helping towards cleaner air, for more information or to join the challenge follow the link. Join the Love your bike love your heart challenge.
Couch to Cycle Group - you can join anytime during the six weeks
Join us for a six-week plan to get you from the couch onto the bicycle. If you'd like to cycle to work or for short local journeys but don't feel fit enough or confident enough why not join our six weekly sessions to help build up your fitness and skills - going at your own pace, we're not training for a long distance cycle. This is for you if you can cycle but haven't been out on the bicycle for a while, are worried you couldn't cycle the mile, two miles into town for work or to the shops or want a bit of motivation. We will meet once a week, to go over the training for the rest of the week practicing some basic skills and stretches to start then over to you for the rest of the week. This will be a small, informal group, a bit of run, relaxation and exercise after work. If you'd like to find out more or book a place contact Pamela (if you miss the first week don't worry).
- Wednesday 9 January at 6.00pm for about 30 minutes, with a few minutes extra for getting bikes ready. Meet at CS Lewis Square - runs weekly for 6 weeks) - book a place for the couch to cycle group
- Wednesdays from 13th March - 11am to 12 noon - book and get back on the cycle
- Wednesdays from 20th March - 6.00pm to 6.45pm - book a place or for more information
Led Group Cycle Rides
Do you want to get out cycling on the Comber (or Connswater) Greenway with some company? Interested in taking part in a leisurely, fun cycle in a small group on mainly traffic free routes. Maybe you don't know how to get onto the Comber Greenway, or all the interesting places it passes by? Route may be subject to change. If you do not have a bike but would like to take part, let us know and we may be able to organise a bike for you to borrow, dependent on availability. Below are the first few led bike rides organised for 2019 if you'd like more information contact Pamela or Martha
- Saturday 26 January - 9.30am to 11.00am - a leisurely, return cycle from CS Lewis Square to the Titanic Quarter and along the river path - distance depends on speed of the slowest cyclist. Book a place on this led cycle ride.
- Saturday 23 February - 10.00am to 12.00pm - a led group cycle, travelling at a leisurely place, to try some cycle routes around East Belfast, leaving from and returning to the Active Travel Hub on CS Lewis Square- book a place on this led cycle ride.
- Saturday 23 March - 10.00am to 1.00pm a cycle along the Comber Greenway to Comber and back to the Active Travel Hub on CS Lewis Square - book a place on the CS Lewis to Comber cycle.
Sustrans Active Travel Hub Saturday Open Days
Come along to our hub, meet us, find out a bit more about what we do and take part in some of the activities being run that day.
- Saturday 26th January – New Year revolutions – cycle routes, how to lock a bike and fix a puncture. Also, PSNI bike registration from 12 noon to 2pm.
- Saturday 16th February – An introduction to Geocaching, find out more about it and go on a guided geocache around CS Lewis Square. Come along and see the Sustrans Side by Side bike in action.
- Saturday 30th March - Get Ready for Spring Cycling - Ditch the stabilisers 10am to 11am. Try out our loan bikes on CS Lewis Square 11.30am to 3.15pm. Enter our active travel quiz to win a cycling pannier and equipment.
Adult Total Beginner Cycle Training
This is a forty-five to sixty-minute session building confidence and skills to start cycling for adults of any age (as long as there is no medical reason why you cannot cycle – chat to us first if you’re not sure). This will normally be organised on a one to one basis. We have bikes available to borrow.
We have some dates booked for this, but if you contact us we will try to arrange a training session that suits you and us - contact about adult total beginner cycle training.
- Monday 18th February - from 2.00pm to 3.00pm - book adult beginner cycle training - full
- Tuesday 19th February - from 12.00pm to 1.00pm - book adult beginner cycle training - full
- Tuesday 16th April - from 12.00pm to 1.00pm - book adult beginner cycle training
Adult Level 1 and 2
Refresher cycle training for adults who want to start using the bike more, for commuting or daily journeys. This training covers a refresher of basic control skills on the bike and then takes you out onto some local quiet roads to practice and build confidence in cycling in light traffic areas (there is a further level you can move onto after this if you wish). The training is a reminder of positioning, control and communication with other road users to keep you safe and happy on your cycle journey. We are planning our new programme of cycle training for 2019 but in the meantime if you are interested in finding out about cycle training please contact us - Pamela or Martha - we can organise sessions to suit a few people out of the programme times.
- Friday 1st February - 11.00am to 1.00pm at CS Lewis Square. Book adult cycle training.
- Thursday 11th April - 6.00pm to 8.00pm. Book adult cycle training.
- Saturday 16th February - 11.00am to 1.00pm at CS Lewis Square. Book adult cycle training
- Thursday 23rd May - 5.00 pm to 7.00 pm. Book adult cycle training.
- Tuesday 28th May - 5.00pm to 7.00pm Book adult cycle training
Adult Level 3 Cycle Training
If you have completed the level 1 and 2 training and would like some more training on busier roads we have a level 3 training session which is really useful, it will help with bigger junctions, roundabouts, multi-lane roads and bus lanes and more. If you would like to find out more or to book a session - one to one training, dates organised to suit - contact Pamela.
Ditch the Stabilisers - Training Sessions for Children
Short sessions of up to an hour (some admin and bike check time included in this) to help your children gain confidence and balance to go without stabilisers. We take off the stabilisers and pedals and work with parents and children to practice cycling skills. There is a maximum of 6 children per session, they are great fun and lots of opportunity to practice skills. If you would like to book a place for one of these sessions either email Pamela or Martha or follow the email link below, we will email to confirm your place is booked.
- Saturday 16th February from 1.50pm to 2.50pm - book ditch the stabilisers - full
- Monday 18th February from 10.30 to 11.30am - book ditch the stabilisers
- Tuesday 19th February from 10.30 to 11.30am - book ditch the stabilisers
- Saturday 30th March from 10.00 to 11.00am - book ditch the stabilisers
- Saturday 30th March from 11.30am to 12.30pm - book ditch the stabilisers
- Tuesday 16th April from 10.30 to 11.30am - book ditch the stabilisers
- Wednesday 17th April from 10.30 to 11.30am - book ditch the stabilisers
Children’s Level 1 Bikeability National Standards
This is a fun, one and a half hour session (including some admin and bike preparation time) developing skills on the bicycle for those children already able to cycle. Children will have practice moving their bike round obstacles, stopping and starting safely and gaining control and confidence when cycling. Children will also learn how to carry out a quick check on their bikes. This session is open to all ages of children, but would be best for those wishing to develop basic control and skills – and to have fun.
- Monday 18th February from 12.00pm to 1.00pm - book children's level 1
- Tuesday 19th February from 2.00pm to 3.00pm - book children's level 1
- Tuesday 16th April from 2.00pm to 3.00pm - book children's level 1
- Wednesday 17th April from 2.00pm to 3.00pm - book children's level 1
- Wednesday 24 April from 2.00pm to 3.00pm - book children's level 1
Learn how to fix a puncture and get you home and basic care for your bike, single sessions.
- Saturday 26th January from 2.00pm to 3.00pm - how to fix a puncture and change a wheel - come along to the open day at the hub.
- Wednesday 27th February from 5.30 to 7.00pm at the Active Travel Hub. book bike maintenance
- Saturday 30th March from 1.30 to 3.00pm book bike maintenance
Get Ready for Spring Cycling!
Come to Eastside Visitor Centre, CS Lewis Square BT4 and find out about different styles of bicycle and a range of second-hand bikes available, from Richard, Belfast City Centre Cycles. Information also on cycling equipment, loan bikes and our cycling activities and training. Enter our competition to win Sustrans goodies.
- Thursday 21 March - 5.45pm to 7.15pm - book event
Adult Rooky Riders – back in the saddle skills session
This is a one and a half hour session building confidence and skills to get back on the bicycle for adults of any age (as long as there is no medical reason why you cannot cycle – chat to us first if you’re not sure). We have a few bikes that you can borrow for this session. The skills session will be off-road, practising basic skills of stopping and starting and controlling the bike, this will be followed by a short bike ride along the Connswater Greenway. Maximum of 6 people for this session. We do not have any sessions planned at the moment, but if you would like more information or to organise a session for a small group contact [email protected] about Adult Rooky Riders session.