Interested in FREE cycle training, both on and off-road to improve your skills and confidence? Want to get out on your bike and improve your health and fitness? The following cycling activities are aimed primarily at employees in businesses along the Comber Greenway, in East Belfast as part of Sustrans' CHIPS programme but we encourage all members of the public to sign up.
Dates for 2018:
Perk and Ride
Join us on Friday 9 March 7.30am - 9.30am at our new Sustrans Active Travel Hub, CS Lewis Square. Drop into Jack's Cafe on the Square, on your cycle or walk to work for a free coffee/tea (first 50 people). We would love to hear from you if you are thinking about cycling to work, if you're interested in cycle training or bike maintenance or share some great stories about your commute. If you can indicate your interest in this event on our facebook page or by phone (see above) it would be a help.
Adult Cycle Training - (January and February dates) can be booked through eventbrite. A free ditch the stabiliser session is offered for all those who complete this adult cycle training.
Sunday 21 January 1pm to 3pm
Wednesday 24 January 2pm to 4pm
Friday 9 February 2pm to 4pm
Sunday 25 February 2pm to 4pm
Wednesday 28 February 3pm to 5pm
Friday 9 March 2pm to 4pm
Sunday 18 March 2pm to 4pm
Tuesday 27 March 5pm to 7pm
Build confidence in riding your bike on traffic-free, minor and major roads. Choose from one of the following 2 hour sessions below, running from January to March 2018
Family Cycle Training - (Booking available on eventbrite - session A and session B)
Do you think your child (age 10 years or more) or parent could do with some basic or on road cycle skills training?
Would you like to take part in some fun training with your parent/child, practicing cycle skills off road and then on local roads?
Then this is for you: free level 1 and 2 National Standards cycle training for adults, practical, skills based training, so you can watch and then practice, building on learning with no test at the end. The training takes you through some fun activities covering basic skills to practice on local roads, learning about position on the road and communication with other road users, all helping to make you a more confident and safer cyclist. Training takes place over two sessions, two hours long, session A must be completed first.
- 2A – 4 February, 11am - 1pm
- 2A – 16 February, 11am - 1pm
- 3A – 16 February, 2pm - 4pm
- 3B – 29 March, 2pm - 4pm
- 4A - 5 April, 11am - 1.30pm
Learn how to fix a puncture and keep your bike on the road. Choose from one of the following hour sessions running in November.
- Thurs 16 November, 5.30pm - 7pm (Level 1: M-Check, Puncture Repair)
- Wed 22 November, 5.30pm - 7pm (Level 2: Brakes and more detailed checks)
- Sat 25 November, 1.30pm - 3pm (Level 1: M-Check, Puncture Repair)
- Wed 24 January 2018, 5.30pm - 7.00pm (level 2: Puncture repair and more)
- Saturday 3 February 2018, 2.00pm - 4.00pm (Level 2: Puncture repair and more).
- Wed 21 February 2018, 5.30pm - 7.00pm (Puncture repair and M-Check) - book through eventbrite
- Sun 25 February 2018, 12.00 noon - 1.30pm (Puncture repair and M-Check) - book through eventbrite
- Wed 14 March 2018, 5.30pm - 7.00pm (Puncture repair and M-Check) - book through eventbrite
Cycle to work from Comber with stops along the Comber Greenway to C.S. Lewis Square, in east Belfast. Join the Bike Bus from Billy Neill playing fields at Comber or join us en route. Register from 7.15am at Billy Neill, leaving at 7.30am.
- Wednesday 25 April, dep 7.45am Arrive C.S. Lewis Square at 8.30am
- Wednesday 23 May, dep 7.45am Arrive C.S. Lewis Square at 8.30am book a place through Eventbrite or contact us for more information.
Led Group Cycle Rides
Do you want to get out cycling on the Comber (or Connswater) greenway with some company? Interested in taking part in a leisurely, fun cycle in a small group along the greenway with a stop for coffee and a chat? Maybe you don't know how to get onto the Comber Greenway, or all the interesting places it passes by?
We are offering places on a number of group cycle rides, for adults, along the Comber Greenway a lovely, traffic free route which runs from Comber to Belfast. Route may be subject to change, but the cycle will last approximately 1.5 - 2 hours. If you do not have a bike but would like to take part let us know and we can organise a bike for you to borrow. Book here for a place on the cycle ride.
- Saturday 3 February, 11am - 1pm
- Saturday 3 March, 1pm - 3pm - CANCELLED DUE TO WEATHER CONDITIONS
Better by Bike
A fully comprehensive 6-week course to get you cycling to work. The course covers choosing a bike, cycle training - including level 1, 2 and 3 (level 3 takes cyclists onto busier roads, maybe your regular commute), bike maintenance, route planning and a guided ride.
- Dates to be agreed, contact us if you would like to find out more or book a place.