Interested in FREE cycle training, both on and off-road to improve your skills and confidence? Want to get out on your bike and improve your health and fitness? The following cycling activities are aimed primarily at employees in businesses along the Comber Greenway, in East Belfast as part of Sustrans' CHIPS programme but we encourage all members of the public to sign up.
Dates for 2018:
Adult Cycle Training - (January and February dates) can be booked through eventbrite. A free ditch the stabiliser session is offered for all those who complete this adult cycle training.
Sunday 21 January 1pm to 3pm
Wednesday 24 January 2pm to 4pm
Friday 9 February 2pm to 4pm
Sunday 25 February 2pm to 4pm
Wednesday 28 February 3pm to 5pm
Friday 9 March 4pm to 6pm
Sunday 18 March 2pm to 4pm
Tuesday 27 March 5pm to 7pm
Friday 29 March 2pm to 4pm
Build confidence in riding your bike on traffic-free, minor and major roads. Choose from one of the following 2 hour sessions below, running from January to March 2018
Family Cycle Training - (Booking available on eventbrite - session A and session B)
Do you think your child (age 10 years or more) or parent could do with some basic or on road cycle skills training?
Would you like to take part in some fun training with your parent/child, practicing cycle skills off road and then on local roads?
Then this is for you: free level 1 and 2 National Standards cycle training for adults, practical, skills based training, so you can watch and then practice, building on learning with no test at the end. The training takes you through some fun activities covering basic skills to practice on local roads, learning about position on the road and communication with other road users, all helping to make you a more confident and safer cyclist. Training takes place over two sessions, two hours long, session A must be completed first.
- 2A – 4 February, 11am - 1pm
- 2B – 16 February, 11am - 1pm
- 3A – 16 February, 2pm - 4pm
- 3B – 4 March, 2pm - 4pm
Learn how to fix a puncture and keep your bike on the road. Choose from one of the following hour sessions running in November.
- Thurs 16 November, 5.30pm - 7pm (Level 1: M-Check, Puncture Repair)
- Wed 22 November, 5.30pm - 7pm (Level 2: Brakes and more detailed checks)
- Sat 25 November, 1.30pm - 3pm (Level 1: M-Check, Puncture Repair)
- Wed 24 January 2018, 5.30pm - 7.00pm (level 2: Puncture repair and more)
- Saturday 3 February 2018, 2.00pm - 4.00pm (Level 2: Puncture repair and more).
- Wed 21 February 2018, 5.30pm - 7.00pm (Puncture repair and M-Check) - book through eventbrite
- Sun 25 February 2018, 12.00 noon - 1.30pm (Puncture repair and M-Check) - book through eventbrite
- Wed 14 March 2018, 5.30pm - 7.00pm (Puncture repair and M-Check) - book through eventbrite
Cycle to work from Comber with stops along the Comber Greenway to C.S. Lewis Square, in east Belfast. Join the Bike Bus from Billy Neill playing fields at Comber or join us en route. Register from 7.15am at Billy Neill, leaving at 7.30am.
- Wed 15 Nov, dep 7.30am Arrive C.S. Lewis Square at 8.30am
- Wed 13 Dec, dep 7.30am Arrive C.S. Lewis Square at 8.30am book a place through eventbrite.
Better by Bike
A fully comprehensive 6-week course to get you cycling to work. The course covers choosing a bike, cycle training, bike maintenance, route planning and a guided ride.
- Begins Tues 19 Sept until Tues 31 Oct, 6pm-8pm (also Sat daytime) - completed
- Begins Fri 3 Nov until Fri 8 Dec, 2pm-4pm on Friday afternoons