- The competition is open to residents of the United Kingdom except employees of Sustrans and their close relatives, those judging the competition or anyone professionally connected with the competition.
- Entries must have been taken on or close to the National Cycle Network in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Coast of Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands.
- All images entered must celebrate your experiences on the National Cycle Network and be no more than three years old.
- The competition is open to all ages, however entrants under 18 must have their parent or legal guardian’s permission to enter. Entrants under 18 must supply their name, age and a valid email address for their parent or legal guardian.
- Participants must not be professional photographers. In the context of this competition, a professional photographer is defined as someone who makes over 50% of their annual income from the sale or publication of their photographs.
- Images submitted must not have been published elsewhere (excluding social media) or have won a prize in any other major photographic competition, or be entered into a major competition where the results are still pending.
- Participants warrant that no animals depicted in their entries were harmed in the taking of the photographs.
- If you are licensed to take pictures or visit areas which might otherwise be unlawful you should say so, and we may ask to see the licence if your picture is shortlisted.
- Entrants may submit one different photograph to each category, however they will only have the chance to be declared the winner of one category.
- Entrants found to be using multiple email addresses to exceed the allowed number of submissions will be disqualified.
- Photos submitted on behalf of another person will not be accepted.
- The promoter is not responsible for entries that are sent via email and not received, and proof of transmission will not be accepted as proof of entry.
- Sustrans may contact entrants to provide extra information or an extended description of their image.
- Sustrans reserves the right to transfer an entry to a different category during the competition or judging if it feels it is more relevant.
- If entrants fall below the required standard Sustrans reserve the right not to declare a winner and award prize.
- Photos must be sent by email in digital format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Minimum file size is 1MB and the maximum file size is 10MB. Photos must be submitted as JPEG or TIFF files.
- Photos must be submitted with no watermarks, borders or excessive digital manipulation.
Judging, notification and prizes
All valid entries made before the competition closing date will be judged as follows:
- Shortlisted photos in each category will be chosen by representatives from Sustrans.
- The shortlisted photos will be scored by a panel of independent judges on the basis of a) originality and creativity b) execution c) evidence of enthusiasm for the National Cycle Network, and the entries in each category with the highest score will be designated as the winner.
- Winners will be notified by email or telephone within 11 working days of the closing of the competition.
- Winners must confirm acceptance of their prize within 7 days of being notified by Sustrans and must provide a UK postal address for their prize to be sent to.
- If Sustrans does not receive confirmation of prize acceptance within 7 days it reserves the right to disqualify the entrant and select another prize-winner.
- The prizes are as stated for each category and are not transferable. No cash alternative to the prizes will be offered. Prizes are subject to availability and Sustrans reserves the right to substitute any prize with a reasonable alternative without giving notice.
- The promoter’s decision in the respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The winners will be announced on the Sustrans website in October 2019.
- The prizes are:
Great Day Out: A family set of scooters and accessories from Micro Scooters. The winner can choose two adult scooters each worth up to £160, two children’s scooters each worth up to £150 and accessories up to the value of £150.
Adventures in Nature: A set of coffee table books from Vertebrate Publishing – Alpine Exposures, The Water Vole, Wild Britain, Wild Vision, Lake District Mountain Landscape, Extreme Scotland, Wild Light, Brown Hares in the Derbyshire Dales, Villager Jim’s Peak District, Kinder Scout.
Art, Culture and Heritage: A men’s or women’s MTB Trail Bundle and an Aquanought Waterproof Backpack from Polaris Bikewear.
Adventures by the Water: A REFLECT360 Touring Backpack from Proviz.
Rights and ownership
- All images submitted must be the work of the individual submitting them, and entrants must have full copyright for any images they submit.
- Entrants retain the copyright to images submitted.
It is the responsibility of each entrant to ensure that:
- any images they submit have been taken with the consent of anyone who is identifiable in that image or the consent of their parent/guardian if they are under 18 and that they have been advised of the purpose of the submission and that their photograph may be published by Sustrans.
- any images submitted do not infringe on the copyright of any third parties, and to indemnify Sustrans against any claims made by third parties in the event of such an infringement.
- they have received any necessary permissions from the owner(s) of objects including buildings featured in submitted images for the usage rights required by Sustrans and will indemnify Sustrans against any claims made by any third parties in respect of such infringement.
- they have not licensed or disposed of any rights in their images that would conflict with uses to be made by Sustrans.
- Photographs entered in the competition must not promote brands or businesses other than the promoter’s.
- Sustrans and any partners may use photographs entered into the competition to promote the 2019 competition.
- Sustrans may seek permission from entrants to use photographs and photograph descriptions entered in the competition for promotional purposes beyond the promotion of the 2019 competition. This discussion and negotiation will be independent from the competition and will not affect entrants’ chances of winning.
- Sustrans may wish to exhibit photographs entered in the competition at a later date – however, permission will be sought from the entrants for this.
- When displaying images online or in print Sustrans will always credit the photographer with their supplied name unless asked not to.
- There is no plan envisaged by Sustrans, or any of its partners or sponsors, to create a general commercial library of the images entered into this competition.
- Prize winners may be required to take part in publicity and their winning entry may be published on the Sustrans website, in Sustrans publications, social media channels as well as the wider media reporting on the competition.
Data Protection and Privacy
- The winners agree to the use of their supplied name and image in any publicity material in relation to the competition.
- Sustrans will share the winners’ supplied postal addresses with prize sponsors for the sole purpose of delivering the prizes.
- Personal data supplied by entrants, other than winners, will be deleted no later than three years after the end of the competition. The personal data of shortlisted winners will be kept to enable the photos to be used to promote future competitions, and to give appropriate credit, and also for historical record keeping where appropriate.
The promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice due to any event outside of the promoter’s control. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by the promoter.
Entering Sustrans photography competitions
During summer 2019 there will be three separate Sustrans photo competitions themed around the National Cycle Network: one covering the Bristol and Bath Path, one covering Scotland, and one covering the whole of the UK). A single person may enter one, two or all three of these competitions, provided they are entering a significantly different photograph in each competition.
If you would like to enter more than one Sustrans photography competition but are unsure whether the images you’d like to enter are sufficiently different, please contact us at email@example.com.