3. Active travel and public transport planning in new housing developments
Transport planning that supports greater use of walking, cycling and public transport should be an essential part of the planning of all new developments. Generally, the sooner sustainable transport is fully considered within the planning process of a new development the more efficient their location, use and value will be.
There are a number of provisions that can be undertaken within the development itself to maximise sustainable transport. This should include:
- Walking provision
- Cycling infrastructure
- Public transport provision
- Vehicle management
- On-site car clubs
New housing developments provide a blank canvas within which to design much better and more integrated solutions as part of the overall design of the development itself.
This toolkit will discuss:
- How transport planning can enable walking, cycling and public transport within new developments
- Increasing active travel to and from new developments
- The integration of cycling and walking with public transport