- From - to: Aberdeen to the Shetland Isles via Inverness and the Orkney Isles.
- Distance: Aberdeen to Inverness is 150 miles. Inverness to John o'Groats is 170 miles. Map shows 501 miles of route of which 20 are traffic-free, and 180 are on Orkney and Shetland
- Terrain: The surface varies from on-road to traffic-free
- National Cycle Network: National route 1
- Current closures/diversions on this route
Cromarty Ferry will not operate during summer 2015. More information here: http://www.cromarty-ferry.co.uk/. Anyone cycling between Inverness and Glen Moragie will need to follow the NCN 1 north and west of Cromarty Firth going through Dingwall and Alness instead.
This route is one of contrasts - through Aberdeen, the third largest city in Scotland, northwards along the coast and into the remote scenery of the Highlands and the ancient peatlands of the Flow Country.