Sustrans Superheroes is an individual award scheme recognising pupils’ skills and achievements in walking, scooting and cycling.
Aimed at 7- to 11-year-olds, pupils gain points for activities they complete to become either a Sustrans Hero or Superhero.
Based on a booklet of activities, the scheme provides the structure and inspiration for children to learn and practice the skills essential for fun, safe and sustained active travel to school and for other journeys.
The booklet is split into four sections:
- Learn and practice new skills
- Being healthy
- Staying safe
- Helping others.
Once pupils have become a Hero or Superhero, they are rewarded with a certificate and, optionally, with stickers and badges. Everything you need to run the scheme is available to order online from movewithsustrans.org.uk.
We have guidance and numerous free resources to help you complete the Superheroes tasks:
- Visit somewhere new by bike, walking or on your scooter by using Sustrans' mapping.
- Get your bike or scooter checked by a qualified mechanic - you can find local bike shops on our website, just tick the Bike Shops box under "Show Me", at the bottom
- Take part in a cycling, walking or scooter-skills lesson - these may be run by your Sustrans officer if you have one. Otherwise, visit the Bikeability websites for cycle training in England and Scotland. You can read more on Sustrans' website for training in Northern Ireland and in Wales.
Learn and practice new skills
- Show an adult that you can do a simple safety check on your bike or scooter
- Show an adult that you can fix a puncture on your bike or a small problem on your scooter.
- Create a poster to promote green travel or write a letter to a local councillor
- Persuade someone else to swap a car journey for cycling, walking or scooting.
For more information on the Superheroes scheme, to take part or to request a free sample pack, please email the Education and Young People Team.