We work to bring communities together to help them re-imagine and re-design their streets and public spaces so that they are safer and more attractive places to live in and travel through.
Whether you are looking to engage a wide range of stakeholders in the re-design of a busy high street, or you want to empower local people to work together to improve their neighbourhood, we have the expertise and experience to help you.
Our unique approach:
We believe high quality public space is an essential part of creating cohesive, happy and successful communities. We work with local people to design unique, memorable places that are responsive to their needs. We draw on local knowledge and creativity, seeking to develop a sense of pride and ownership, ensuring a long lasting legacy.
- Evidence and insight. We use research to better understand how people use public space to ensure our recommendations are appropriate.
- Inclusive engagement. We build relationships with the whole community so that solutions meet everyone’s needs and are designed in collaboration.
- Interactive engagement. We create bespoke activities that enable people to interact with their streets and public spaces in new ways.
- Gradual, phased change. We use temporary trials to try out ideas and demonstrate the positive benefits of permanent change.
- Holistic interventions. We design and develop solutions that address both physical and psychological barriers to walking and cycling.
Our work in action:
Our work in Barking and Dagenham has slowed vehicles down dramatically, completely changing the way pedestrians and cyclists experience the road.
Find out more about some of our community led design projects:
- High street re-design in Somerset. We worked in Hamp to help local residents re-configure their urban environment, addressing barriers to accessing work and educational opportunities.
- Residential street re-design in Haringey. We enabled the community to re-design their public space to address the issues that mattered to them.
- Redesigning with schools in Bristol. We worked with Ashton Gate School to implement low cost interventions to encourage drivers to slow their speeds outside the school gates.
- Reducing flood risk in Bristol. Sustrans is working with communities to improve drainage and reduce flood risk by putting in place an innovative Sustainable Drainage System (SuDS).
- Traffic calming measures around a school in Brixton. We are working with the local council and communities on a plan for measures to increase the safety of pupils and local people.