Sustrans can help you to identify and implement cost-effective, proven solutions that reduce car use and increase walking and cycling.
Why work with Sustrans?
- We are experts: With over 30 years of pioneering experience across the UK, our multidisciplinary teams comprising highway engineers and urban designers use innovative ideas to transform individual sites to whole city regions.
- We are people focused: As experts in community engagement, we support and enable our clients to meet the needs of communities, working to identify and develop a range of holistic solutions.
- We are partnership focused: We work in partnership with organisations in the public, private and not-for-profit sectors across the UK.
- We innovate: We lead the way in developing and implementing cutting edge, best value for money solutions that get results.
- Our work developing the National Cycle Network, has demonstrated that providing the right environment for pedestrians and cyclists is crucial in enabling people to leave their car behind. The Network now stretches over 14,000 miles across the length and breadth of the UK and has had significant benefits for the economy and public health.
- And… our teams passionately believe in making it easier for people to walk and cycle through the delivery of high quality infrastructure.
Our cycling and walking infrastructure services
The expertise of our multidisciplinary teams cover all elements of the development, design, construction and ongoing maintenance of cycling and walking infrastructure including:
- cycling and walking design
- urban design
- stakeholder and community engagement
- road safety
- transport planning
- civil engineering
- ecology and environmental
- project management
- contract management
- trunk road boundary
Our services include:
Route and network assessment and planning
A network of high-quality cycle routes suitable for the less confident cyclist is integral to creating an environment that can facilitate increased levels in cycling. Sustrans has extensive experience in assessing existing networks and planning new and upgraded networks to enable people to cycle safely and conveniently.
Urban route development and design
We undertake route development and design work in urban areas ranging from feasibility studies, to concept designs and detailed designs. Our work includes managing and co-ordinating the London Quietways programme as Transport for London’s Delivery Agent. We also deliver solutions in numerous other urban areas across the UK.
Rural route development and design
Developing cycling and walking infrastructure in rural areas often involves different challenges and opportunities to urban areas. Sustrans’ wealth of experience in developing cycling and walking infrastructure in rural areas includes initial feasibility studies, ecology appraisal and design, detailed design of routes, managing the construction process and maintaining routes.
We work to bring communities together to help them re-imagine and re-design their streets and public spaces so that they are safer and more attractive places to live in and travel through. A community-led street design enables locals to contribute to the delivery of interventions they feel most important in the area, understanding the constraints in terms of budget and highways regulations, and supporting the delivery of a scheme they will feel proud about, hence support and help maintain.
Critical friend advice
Our experts can support you by providing technical advice and reviewing of design proposals, providing constructive feedback. We are able to provide impartial opinions with the sole aim of maximising the quality of cycling and walking interventions. We can assist at any stage of a scheme, to help ensure a design does not lose the focus on walking and cycling, and draws on the best possible practice in this field.
Developed by professionals for professionals, our technical design training courses offer you the opportunity to learn from experts who have a wealth of practical know-how and hands-on experience in cycling, walking and street design.
We have a thorough understanding of current guidance, and draw best practice from it. You can access our key resources below.
- Sustrans design guidance
- London Cycling Design Standards
- Design Guidance Active Travel (Wales) Act 2013
- Cycle Traffic and the Strategic Road Network, Highways England Interim Advice Note 195/16
- Cycling by Design, Transport for Scotland
- Manual for Streets
- Manual for Streets 2
- Designing Streets, a policy statement for Scotland
- Department for Transport Local Transport Notes
- Slow Streets Sourcebook, Urban Design London
- Streetscape Guidance, Transport for London