Enjoy a great cycling day out in Yorkshire… at your own pace!
Were you inspired by the Grand Depart of the Tour de France in Yorkshire? If so, why not try Sustrans’ version – the Slow Tour of Yorkshire. The Slow Tour is a guide to 21 of the best cycle routes across Yorkshire on the National Cycle Network.
And the best bit is, routes are suitable for most abilities. They are between 10 and 20 miles (2 - 3 hours of slow cycling), on traffic-free or quiet lanes, mainly flat (apart from our ‘starter’ hills in two Yorkshire Dales routes), reached by public transport, with bike hire available near the start.
Whether you are a family, new to cycling or a regular cyclist, you too can do your very own Tour of Yorkshire. Just click on the map above or list below, have a look at the route, get your bike out (or hire one at the start of the route) and start exploring!
You can plan your journey to the routes by public transport on the Traveline website.
Slow Tour highlights
Relax on a Greenway
- Harrogate to Ripley
- Penistone to Dunford Bridge
- Keighley to Saltaire
- York to Naburn
- Ossett to Oakenshaw
Visit a castle, historic house or ruined abbey
Cycle a canal
Check out a nature reserve
Try a Yorkshire Dales ‘starter’ hill
Breathe in sea air
Enjoy great Bridge views
- Barton on Humber to North Ferriby – the Humber Bridge Route
- Bradford City Park to Bowling Park - the Red Bridge Route
Each route has a map which provides further information about: tourist attractions and heritage sites, cafes and picnic spots, play areas for children, public artwork and bike hire. You'll find them on the route pages and also here:
- Stage 1: Roundhay Park to Temple Newsam (The Wykebeck Way) (PDF)
- Stage 2: Garforth to Woodlesford (PDF)
- Stage 3: Leeds to Saltaire (PDF)
- Stage 4: Keighley to Saltaire (PDF)
- Stage 5: Skipton to Bolton Abbey (PDF)
- Stage 6: Settle to Clapham (PDF)
- Stage 7: Harrogate to Ripley (PDF)
- Stage 8: York to Beningbrough Hall (PDF)
- Stage 9: York to Naburn (PDF)
- Stage 10: Bradford City to Bowling Park (PDF)
- Stage 11: Hebden Bridge to Brighouse (PDF)
- Stage 12: Ossett to Oakenshaw (PDF)
- Stage 13: Huddersfield to Dewsbury (PDF)
- Stage 14: Barnsley to Old Moor (PDF)
- Stage 15: Penistone to Dunford Bridge (PDF)
- Stage 16: Sheffield to Rotherham (PDF)
- Stage 17: Doncaster to Conisbrough (PDF)
- Stage 18: Barton-Upon-Humber to North Ferriby (PDF)
- Stage 19: Hull to Hornsea (PDF)
- Stage 20: Driffield to Bridlington (PDF)
- Stage 21: Scarborough to Hayburn Wyke (PDF)
The Slow Tour of Yorkshire was funded by Public Health Teams across Yorkshire and the Humber and part of the Cycle Yorkshire Tour de France Legacy Strategy.