Our free step-by-step guide means you can run a Bike to School Week at any time of year.
We’ve been working with schools since 1995 and have used the knowledge and experience of over 130 officers to develop this cycling-promotion programme, to run in school over any six-week period.
Our ambition is that every child in the UK will benefit from the direct support of one of our officers, and every week will be a Bike to School Week. In the meantime, download the guide to get everyone inspired, motivated and skilled-up to cycle to school.
The guide includes ideas and top tips for:
- activities & lessons
- incentive schemes
- empowering and building confidence
- raising awareness
- And lots of handy tools, like checklists and planners
You can download the guide that fits with your own national curriculum here:
England and Northern Ireland (pdf)
Welsh language version (pdf)
Suss It Out - 5 great activity sheets
In addition to the guide, you can also download our Suss It Out activity sheets (pdf). With 5 sheets on 5 themes, they are perfect for using each day in BTSW. Each theme includes fun and engaging activities based around active travel that can be fitted into the busy school day.
Each sheet has a 10, 20 and 30-minute activity requiring little preparation and no resources other than those found in a typical classroom. The individual sheets are:
- Staying Safe (pdf)
- Being Healthy (pdf)
- Exploring (pdf)
- Looking After Your World (pdf)
- Future Journeys (pdf)
When to do your Bike To School Week
Schools can choose any six weeks in the year to run the programme (or longer if they wish) - you could run the programme to coincide with the period of pupil transition between schools, or a particular topic within the curriculum.
Other resources to help you:
- Sample school cycling policy
- Curriculum poster - full of great ideas using cycling in classroom subjects
- Finding Funding - where to find grants or raise your own funding
- School Travel FAQs - answers to all those niggling questions about cycling to school
- Bike check video - a quick ABC to making sure your bike is safe for the road
- Cycle parking information sheet - all you need to know about what to get and where to put it
Promoting your activity:
- Press template - announcment
- school event press release template.
- An ‘after event’ press template will be available shortly
- Posters (pdf - 3MB) – 6 templates for you to advertise Bike to School week activities
- Case studies - read how schools around the UK have organised bike-related events to promote cycling to pupils and families
- Case study template - tell us what worked in your school during Bike to School Week
Bike to School Week is supported by the Bike Hub. The Bike Hub is a levy scheme operated by the Bicycle Association of Great Britain, to support the future of cycling in the UK.