Bike to School Week 2013
Our ambition is that every child in the UK will benefit from the direct support of one of our officers. In the meantime, for schools where we are not yet working, we have developed a fantastic guide for Bike to School Week.
Using all our knowledge and experience, this cycling-promotion programme includes ideas and top tips for events, activities and lessons delivered over a six-week period, to get everyone inspired, motivated and skilled-up to cycle to school.
Schools can choose any six weeks in the year to run the programme (or longer if they wish) - you could run the programme to coincide with the period of pupil transition between schools, or a particular topic within the curriculum. However, we'll be celebrating the opportunity with an official Bike to School Week running 10-14 June 2013. That's the week before Bike Week.
Schools participating in Bike to School week will be eligible to enter a prize draw to win a £1000 voucher to spend with Cyclepods. To enter this competition, either complete the entry form at the back of the step by step guide, or on our online form.
- Sample school cycling policy
- Curriculum poster full of great ideas using cycling in classroom subjects
- Cycle parking information sheet - all you need to know about what to get and where to put it
- Case studies - read how schools around the UK have organised bike-related events to promote cycling to pupils and families
- Case study template - tell us what worked in your school during Bike to School Week
- Guidance on producing a press template – two downloadable press templates for Bike to School Week. A Press template announcment and a school event press release. An ‘after event’ press template will be available to download form these pages after the conclusion of Bike to school week
- Finding Funding - where to find grants or raise your own funding
- School Travel FAQs - answers to all those niggling questions about cycling to school
- Bike check video - a quick ABC to making sure your bike is safe for the road
- Posters (pdf - 3MB) – 6 templates for you to advertise Bike to School week activities
Bike to School Week is supported by the Bike Hub. The Bike Hub is a levy scheme operated by the Bicycle Association of Great Britain, to support the future of cycling in the UK.